Wednesday, January 07, 2009

What's On My Mind for 2009....

So it's the start of a new year. It's new year resolutions time. I used to be one for always making new year's resolutions and keeping them (for a least a month or two). Some made it to completion and others I still resolve to do every year. As I have gotten older and realize that some things I take for granted and forget what is really important in life so I decided to make a new year's resolutions list that would help me remember the basics and love life and enjoy it to its fullest..... and some that I work on every year. Here we go.

1. Lose weight. Ok I know this one has been on the list for a while. I have been overweight since about four or five years into my marriage. You seem to let yourself go and then comes the kids and .... ok excuses.. I know but this year I want to take better care of myself. I took my blood pressure a few days ago and it was the highest it has ever been. I am hoping my new puppy will help me accomplish my goal much faster. She has more energy than my kids and will be looking forward for her daily walks... more like two or three. I want to be around when my kids are old and I am really tired of the "fluffy" look.

2. Scream less. I really don't like doing this and I really don't know when it started. I am thinking probably around the time I had kids or maybe when I got married. I miss my quiet, inside voice.

3. Worry less. I seems to worry a lot about everything. The bills, getting the car fixed, what someone thinks of me, blah blah blah. If I have learned one thing from one of the toughest trials last year, it is we do the best we can because we really have only so much control and then the rest is up to God. I truly believe that. Also doing #3 will help me accomplish goal #2 easier.

4. Spend more time with my kids. I seem to nag and scream a lot to just get through the day with my kids. Between homework, lessons, chores, errands and all the rest, I just try to get through the end of the day and then look forward for bedtime. ( I know all of you moms and my friends know what I am talking about...please don't make me think I am the only one.) I want to enjoy more with my kids. Laugh with them, cry with them, run with them, smile with them, love them. I don't want to miss too much before they walk out the door all grown up.

5. Become a better multi-tasker. I can do a lot of things well...at the same time, that's a different story. It seems I get all frazzled and end up letting things slide because I get so overwhelmed. So I am working on that. I mean shouldn't I be able to make dinner, while helping Preston with a math problem, finding Zachary's train, sweeping the floor, taking care of a husband who has back problems, feeding the dog all while talking on the phone?

6. Date more. No not someone else. My husband of course! I envy those that plan date night once a month and envy more those who go out once a week. I haven't dated in a long time. I honestly miss spending time with my honey-laughing and talking and being in love like we were when we were first married.

Let's see I think that's a good list for now. Happy New Year!!!!

4 comments:

kate said...

i really liked your list. i can totally relate to just trying to get through the day and looking forward to bed time, i do that A LOT. maybe i should adopt your goal...

Stacy said...

That's a great list! Most of our mental lists are probably close to the same however, you are the brave one memorializing it to paper. Atta girl Shan! You are doing the "Mom Gig" better than you think!

SherRon said...

What a great list! i agrees with Sissy that your are very brave to put it out there for the world to see. That means you are really looking to make some changes. Take one day at a time. and try to do one of those for 2 weeks. Remember you can not eat an elephant in one day. I'm proud of you and cheering you all the way. You go girl!!

Danylle said...

I love your list, now I'll have to make one. I love you and hope you are able to accomplish at least a couple of your goals.